Install PixelExperience on NB1Back to the overview
Do not continue after something fails!
- Read through the instructions at least once before actually following them, so as to avoid any problems due to any missed steps!
- Make sure your computer has
fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- Boot your device with the stock OS at least once and check every functionality. Make sure that you can send and receive SMS and place and receive calls (also via WiFi and LTE, if available), otherwise it won’t work on PixelExperience either! Additionally, some devices require that VoLTE/VoWiFi be utilized once on stock to provision IMS.
- PixelExperience is provided as-is with no warranty. While we attempt to verify everything works you are installing this at your own risk!
Unlocking the bootloader
Install Nokia USB Drivers (required): To ensure that your device is properly detected during the bootloader unlock process, make sure to install the required. If you already have the required drivers installed you can skip this step. To install the drivers, download this installer package from GitHub and install it to your computer.
Download and extract the Nokia Bootloader Unlock tool from here. Using this tool you can easily unlock the bootloader of your device without touching the command line. Use a zip management tool of your choice to extract the tool to a folder on your computer.
Reboot the phone into download mode: Now you need to boot your device to download mode. Follow these steps for bootloader mode:
- Turn off your phone.
- Connect the USB cable to the device only and not the computer.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Power key together till you reach the screen reads that reads “Download mode”.
Alternatively, you can also use the command
adb reboot bootloaderfrom the stock ROM to bring the phone to download mode.
Generate OTP for the Unlock Tool: To avoid misuse and limit usage, the tool uses OTP (One-time password). Before you unlock you need to get an OTP. You can generate one from here
Run the Unlock Tool and unlock your phone Now you can use the previously generated OTP to unlock the bootloader of your device.
Note: The tool will try to automatically unlock the device in fastboot mode. However, sometimes that can fail. Please put the device to fastboot mode manually if that happens.
- Run the “Bootloader Unlock by tm.exe” file in the folder where you extracted the tool
- Paste the OTP (from step 3) into the Enter OTP box in the Unlock Tool.
- Connect your smartphone in download mode.
- Click on the “BEGIN UNLOCK” button.
- Wait for the process to complete and follow the instructions shown in the output window.
- Your device should prompt you for unlock. Use the volume keys to accept the unlock
Starting with PixelExperience, you must flash the T-Virus Treble modification package to make your device Treble compatible.
To flash T-Virus head over to this XDA thread and download the included PDF. It will guide you step-by-step how to correctly install T-Virus and start using Treble ROMs
Installing PixelExperience from recovery
- Download the PixelExperience installation package that you would like to install or build the package yourself.
- If you are not in recovery, reboot into recovery:
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Up and connect to a computer.
- Now tap Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage, as well as format your cache partition (if you have one).
- Return to the main menu.
- Sideload the PixelExperience
- On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
- On the host machine, sideload the package using:
adb sideload filename.zip.Tip: Normally, adb will report
Total xfer: 1.00x, but in some cases, even if the process succeeds the output will stop at 47% and report
Total xfer: 0.98xor
adb: failed to read command: Success. In some cases it will report
adb: failed to read command: No erroror
adb: failed to read command: Undefined error: 0which is also fine.
- Once you have installed everything successfully, click the back arrow in the top left of the screen, then “Reboot system now”.
After you’ve double checked that you followed the steps precisely, didn’t skip any and still have questions or got stuck, feel free to ask on our Telegram group.