Install PixelExperience on v7101oBack to the overview
Do not continue after something fails!
- Read through the instructions at least once before actually following them, so as to avoid any problems due to any missed steps!
- Make sure your computer has
fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
Installing a custom recovery using
Download the PixelExperience Recovery. Simply download the latest recovery file.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB.
- On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
You can also boot into fastboot mode via a key combination:
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the menu “Select Boot Mode” appears on the screen, then release and choose “Fastboot Mode”.
- Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
If you don’t get any output or an error:
Tip: Some devices have buggy USB support while in bootloader mode, if you see
- on Windows: make sure the device appears in the device manager without a triangle. Try other drivers until the command above works!
- on Linux or macOS: If you see
no permissions fastboottry running
fastbootas root. When the output is empty, check your USB cable and port!
fastboothanging with no output when using commands such as
fastboot getvar ...,
fastboot boot ...,
fastboot flash ...you may want to try a different USB port (preferably a USB Type-A 2.0 one) or a USB hub.
- Flash recovery onto your device (replace
<recovery_filename>with the actual filename!):
fastboot flash recovery <recovery_filename>.img
- Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation. Do not reboot into the existing OS, since it will overwrite the recovery you just installed!
With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the menu “Select Boot Mode” appears on the screen, then release and choose “Recovery Mode”.Note: If you can’t power down the device, try long-pressing the key-combination (if any was used in the instructions above) until the device reboots and follow the instructions above
Installing PixelExperience from recovery
- Download the PixelExperience installation package that you would like to install or build the package yourself.
- If you are not in recovery, reboot into recovery:
- Now tap Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage, as well as format your cache partition (if you have one).
- Return to the main menu.
- Sideload the PixelExperience
- On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
- On the host machine, sideload the package using:
adb sideload filename.zip.Tip: Normally, adb will report
Total xfer: 1.00x, but in some cases, even if
adb: failed to read command: Success/No error. In some cases it will report
adb: failed to read command: No erroror
adb: failed to read command: Undefined error: 0which is also fine.
- Once you have installed everything successfully, click the back arrow in the top left of the screen, then “Reboot system now”.
After you’ve double checked that you followed the steps precisely, didn’t skip any and still have questions or got stuck, feel free to ask on our Telegram group.